passing MOT with ktr catback exhaust

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frediiii

Reaction score
Hi,

I just failed to pass the exhaust emissions test 2 times in a row.

first try: fastchip.nl recalibration & ktec catback exhaust

lambda value @3krpm too high (too much oxygen in exhaust gas)

second try: stock calibration & ktec catback exhaust

labda value @3krpm even higher...

did anyone pass en emission test with a ktr catback system? as the O2 sensors seem to be intact and the other emission values are totally normal, the only thing I can imagine that prevents me from passing the test is lacking back-pressure from the missing silencers... possible?

I honestly can't imagine any reason why it would fail matey :S

Unless your Emissions tests are rediculously stringant, it should sail through.

Your Cat is still intact, it's not throwing a fault because your Engine Managment Light would come on..
Got me stumped to be frank...try another garage?

Araf":mbwjw0ye said:
I think you have a leak on the system - probably at a join after the sensors, hence an eml isn't being thrown.
possibly. Or the probe needs stuffing further up the tail pipe.

singlespeed":33cm65q5 said:
Araf":33cm65q5 said:
I think you have a leak on the system - probably at a join after the sensors, hence an eml isn't being thrown.
possibly. Or the probe needs stuffing further up the tail pipe.

No leaks. Just fitted the exhaust and made sure it's leak-free

the probe was about 40cm long and as far as I could see, he stuffed it up as far as possible...

He might be mugging you off.

My last car failed it's emission test. It was at a garage that did MOT's for £30 so they wanted to find something wrong to make some money. They also failed me for a drop or two of brake fluid (which VW had changed the day before) that had been spilled onto the reservoir.

I took it to a garage that charged twice as much, but it passed with flying colours.

no they won't rip me off. they didn't want to sell me anything or change anything. they tested the emissions now 3times without extra charge. It's just they have no clue apparently and they simply don't let me pass as long as the computer says "no"...

frediiii":3sxirws3 said:
no they won't rip me off. they didn't want to sell me anything or change anything. they tested the emissions now 3times without extra charge. It's just they have no clue apparently and they simply don't let me pass as long as the computer says "no"...
Let them fail you and take it somewhere else. Quite a few stations will fail people on purpose just so they can make some money.

I am going to get it done elswhere, but they didn't want to fail me on purpose. I was standing right next to the exhaust tester and watching the values... the mech even admitted he never saw something like this before.

waitey":3iede0h7 said:
I'm mot'ing ...

277077_207349105991667_4190190_n.jpg

for the record: not the exhausts fault. got delivered the wrong set of sparkplugs. funny, I didn't notice any difference at all. But changed to the right iridium plugs and the problem went away.

I saw on wheeler dealers they cleaned the engine out with some terra-clean to remove carbon deposits and a car went from a fail to a stonking great pass with ease.

Good you sorted it easily though. Did it not feel rough before?

Mine has just failed an Mot on emissions as well with a Ktec exhaust. It is due a service so that could have something to do with it? not sure

Not sure, there is no engine management lights on so I guess the cat is ok. Spark plugs could be the cause though due a three year service now anyway.

Calbriggo":25lmtqsa said:
Mine has just failed an Mot on emissions as well with a Ktec exhaust. It is due a service so that could have something to do with it? not sure

when were the sparkplugs last changed? I can fully confirm that my RS failed emissions test with 60k old iridium sparkplugs (36kmiles). After I swapped them for new ones (wrong ones) I failed again and after finally putting new NGK iridium plugs in, I passed the test with no issues at all.