Quoted £1500 to replace the alternator - is this reasonable?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twingolph

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice regarding a quote I received for my 2016 Renault Twingo 0.9 TCE. My car has been having starting issues, and after diagnosing it, the mechanic mentioned that the alternator appears to have seized, which is preventing the engine from starting.

He explained that in this model, the alternator is located in a very tight and tricky position. If they need to replace it, they might have to remove parts of the engine or work on it out of situ, which would increase the labor time (the engine is this stupid car is at the rear, in the boot).

The quote I received is as follows:

• £1,000 for in situ replacement: This is the cost if they can access and replace the alternator without removing it from its current location.
• £1,500 for out of situ replacement: This is the cost if they need to remove parts of the engine or do more extensive work to access the alternator.

The mechanic mentioned that most of the cost comes from labor, and their hourly rate is £70 plus VAT (£90 with VAT). They said a lot of the dificulta would come from having to disassemble and reassemble all of the parts.

I’m unsure if these prices are fair given the complexity of the job. Has anyone else dealt with alternator replacements in similar models or had any experiences with quotes for this type of work? I’d appreciate any insights or advice on whether this estimate seems reasonable.

Would I be better off going to Renault directly?