Twingo Mk2 clutch issue

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesleyWestland

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my 2014 Twingo Mk2 1.2 16v for a little over a year now and for the most part it's been a great little car. However, after a few months of ownership it developed some intermittent clutch problems. Pulling away in first gear was not smooth and the whole car would vibrate, sometimes quite violently. When the car warmed up after about 10-15 minutes of driving the issue mostly went away, and in general it was not very consistent day to day - the problem seemed to be a lot worse when it was raining or had rained earlier in the day. This became worse and started happening more frequently as time went on, and the mechanic I bought the car from eventually replaced the clutch under warranty. The clutch plates still looked fine but apparently the springs were in poor condition (badly corroded and I believe one of them had snapped - I did not see the parts myself). This completely solved the problem, but now 8 months and about 5000 km later it is starting to come back. I fear that I'll need another clutch replacement in a few months if the underlying issue is not fixed, and my mechanic has no clue what it could be. Has anyone had similar experiences or an idea of what might be causing this? With the problem seemingly being weather-dependent to an extent, I wonder whether there might be a leak somewhere that's allowing moisture into the clutch and causing the springs to corrode again? And for the record, because the mechanic has already asked me several times, no I do not drive around with my foot on the clutch (does anyone actually do that?). Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have! :)

Twingo.jpg

I have the same issue on my GT.

I am not convinced it is clutch as the vibration is not engine rev related.

I am starting to think it might be a worn engine mount or something else related to the drive train when it gets loaded under acceleration in first. I also noticed it is only first gear that this happens.

Please let me know if you find anything