BP Ultimate

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattG

Reaction score
I Came across a topic on here last night regarding the different fuel types, once id read the pro's and con's i thought id give BP Ultimate a go instead of the 'normal' unleaded i use seen as i pass a BP Garage on the way home from work and i only had one bar left (i understand it takes a few tanks to kick in). Now im not tight with my money by any means but normal unleaded is 1.31 a litre and Ultimate was 1.41 is it just me who finds that 10p a litre extra is just a ridicuous price or is that just that particular garage charging a ridiculous price? Or am i tighter with my money than i thought lol would it really benefit my engine that much? I know people love the higher end fuel on here and id be interested to know what they pay a litre and if the price they pay bothers them.

138.9-141.9 for shell v-power by me :)
Changes all the time. Each garage is usually different as they are franchises and can charge what they like for petrol really.

Jjay":nwxr8f77 said:
Changes all the time. Each garage is usually different as they are franchises and can charge what they like for petrol really.

Does it bother you paying that? i read alot olt of people use v-power but id have to drive a good 6-7 miles to the shell garage which isnt really worth it.

I don't care spending the little extra, gives better performance, economy and is all round better for the engine. I don't mind spending out on the car lol!

MattG":1hceqzn7 said:
Jjay":1hceqzn7 said:

Does it bother you paying that? i read alot olt of people use v-power but id have to drive a good 6-7 miles to the shell garage which isnt really worth it.

I use v power all the time, the extra 8pence doesn't bother me as I can tell it runs smoother, power wise is probably not noticeable at all it's just the smoothness.

I'd also reccomend millers nanodrive oil as after using it and after a few drive when it's up to temp I can feel a difference in power in 2nd and 3rd so it's obviously done something good!

i think ill stop being tight, have you ever tried a different one t v-power? i.e. ultimate?

I don't use BP as I find them extortionate around mine! The closest one i see is a good 5p+ per litre compared to shell! I either use shell or tesco momentum... Mainly shell though

i always do 30-40km more from a tank with v-power racing... thats a big diffrence,
and engine works much smoother, especially in winter.

Sainsbury's super unleaded, same as BP ultimate and a fraction of the price. Swore by it on the Twingo and the Clio.

Round my way it's 1.29 for reg and 1.37 for v power, and is by far the cheapest Texaco neer me is usually the same price as v power for the normal fuel, bp is a rip of for fuel, have a Tesco but never thought if using momentum 99 as there is always a queue there.

Happy to pay extra for v power.

I used V Power religiously when I first bought mine 2 years ago. Stopped after about 3 months when prices back in London were getting ridiculous. I cannot say I noticed any difference whatsoever in terms of performance or even economy, although the type of driving wouldnt have helped!
The fuel is no doubt better quality and improves combustion efficiency but still no where near enough to gain any sort of noticeable performance.
Might pop half a tank of BP ultimate in next for a back to back economy test...

I know its not me, as its been mentioned to me by other people who drive mine frequently, but my 133 runs a lot smoother when on v-power than reg, cold start its a ***** on reg!

even if its 10p per litre difference, £4 a tank, say you use a tank a week, £200 odd quid a year difference is nothing when you consider the "premium" you pay in car price, insurance, tax etc for owning a performance car so why not use performance fuel?, if you use Tesco momentum its only 5p a litre different last time i filled up so around £2 a tank, £100 a year, aint much.

i use it all the time as my car is mapped for it, last thing i want is my car detonating and melting a piston! or my ECU pulling back ignition timing to prevent this and loosing me power

I've never even considered using it as I've never owned a car that would benefit from it... But now thinking about it, I guess the 133 would! May need to give it a bash...

Most super is 97RON, Tesco and Shell are 99 - none are 98! My M3 required 98 so I had to stick with Tesco or Shell. Must have been a pain in the arse for the first owner in 1997.

Just because the flap says 95-98 doesn't mean 99 will do harm - it won't, it just means the engine won't quite take full advantage of it. Presumably on 97 it'll end up somewhere in the middle rather than simply treating it as normal unleaded.

I use Tesco momentum 99 all the time in my tce with no issues as does my friend with a Clio 200 also with no issues...you shouldn't have anything to worry about dude :)

5th gear tested different fuels and of the Super stuff, BPs was the worst ie. smallest gain for the highest price.

They didnt test Momentum but they found V-Power to be the best Super juice they did test.

gavin-h":38lybehk said:
Owners manual for the Twingo RS says use 95-98 RON. BP Ultimate etc are 99 RON so I would say do not use.

Can get 100+ Ron at some garages... And higher in Japan, if anything I'd say do not use 95ron and get the best stuff available near you which is usually ultimate and v power.. 99ron