Keep Curbing my alloys - thought I was losing the plot!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moomin_Man

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm constantly finding tiny chips and tyre splits. Drove me insane, I'm a great parker and NEVER touch the curb, I never mount curbs and refuse to, even if the road becomes single lane, i reverse to let cars through rather than mount the pavement. It's been driving me nuts finding these chips and splits with no cause. Yesterday whilst driving I hit a SMALL pot hole which made a nasty noise. Got out the car, and there you go, another chip and split! It's not the curbs, it's all the sodding pot holes...
Low profile tyres on the silverstone seem to be too low for my city. It compresses the tyre, splits it and the alloy touches the pot hole edge. How dangerous are split tyres? It's nothing terrible, just 2-3 splits on each wheel on the thick beading next to the alloy edge. Maybe an 3/4 inch long at the most.

It's a nightmare! 3 weeks into owning Amy I came around a corner and it was unlit and a brick was in the road, right where the a pillar stopped me seeing... Bloody hurt and ruined the lip and tyre.

I've changed to slightly wider t1rs on the back and can't tell a difference driving (even hard) and they've lasted very well and protect the lip far more. Worth looking into 205s for that alone

Damn pot holes!!! I found that i used to get that with conti's as they don't protect the rim very well. The new hankooks s1 evo's that I have now seem to hug the rim much better and give a little more protection against that. Shouldn't need it in the first place though stupid English roads GRRRSS

Everyone wants better roads, but is unwilling to pay extra tax for that to happen (and please don't crack on about how much road tax you are already paying). Other European countries are just as bad (if not worse). Modify your driving style. Slower and trying to avoid potholes would be a good start. :)

Araf":j6g2upwx said:
Everyone wants better roads, but is unwilling to pay extra tax for that to happen (and please don't crack on about how much road tax you are already paying). Other European countries are just as bad (if not worse). Modify your driving style. Slower and trying to avoid potholes would be a good start. :)

Not going to rant, but in my area, it's the way they repair the roads. Very badly done...Each winter, the same pot hole reappears.
Outside my shop last year, the road basically collapsed. I walked out and there was huge hole of darkness, you couldn't see the bottom! The ground had shiften and left only a tarmac shell as a road. I reported it but it was too late. An hour later the whole area collapsed (looked like asteroid damage).

Potholes in certain areas are unavoidable. There are some I have to cross to get to a roundabout off a one way street which I can not avoid from work. (I'm on that street)
I take them slow and avoid the worse. And also have a few war wounds to show for them. The biggest issue is doing that I've nearly had some less observant bint drive into the back of me as I take them slow and they rush to get out onto the roundabout. It's a no win situation!

I'm not sure the tax argument is relevant since its a licence and not a tax but there we go

Moomin_Man":2jocvgv2 said:
Araf":2jocvgv2 said:

Not going to rant, but in my area, it's the way they repair the roads. Very badly done...Each winter, the same pot hole reappears.
Outside my shop last year, the road basically collapsed. I walked out and there was huge hole of darkness, you couldn't see the bottom! The ground had shiften and left only a tarmac shell as a road. I reported it but it was too late. An hour later the whole area collapsed (looked like asteroid damage).

Sorry, please ignore my previous post. I know what you're saying, and it's not always practical to avoid them or drop your speed.

We'll all need 4wds with balloon tyres soon. :)

Araf":f1cpq097 said:
Moomin_Man":f1cpq097 said:
Araf":f1cpq097 said:

Sorry, please ignore my previous post. I know what you're saying, and it's not always practical to avoid them or drop your speed.

We'll all need 4wds with balloon tyres soon. :)

or alternatively do without wheels completely and go for either a tracked vehicle in this vein:
mbhksx.jpg

or a hovercraft but don't know legality of these on the road..

Kam Racing":17c2etcy said:
....or a hovercraft but don't know legality of these on the road..

Technically, they are not 'on' the road, they are above it- and when they used to run Dover/Calais, I think they were regulated by the CAA. :shock: