Twingo gt lowering

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liamcrankgt16

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to buy some Apex 30 mm springs for my gt, anyone fitted them to there's and think there good?

I went for spaxx 30mm front 40mm rear and they make it look so much better!

I was gunna get some but went with coilovers instead, lowering springs wear out the existing suspension pretty fast I think

liam - where possible, it's a bad idea to fit lowering springs unless you have the dampers to match the spring rates. the purpose of the damper is to dampen the oscillation of the spring so that when you go over a pothole and the spring is compressed, the damper comes into play to dampen the rebound of the spring. your dampers on your car are matched with the factory springs which will have X damping rate so to match a softer damper with a much harsher spring rate will result in massively accelerated wear rates. i've known people to replace dampers every 6-12 months because they don't understand. i mean, you wouldn't put a set of missmatched wheels onto your car a 22'' audi rim on your front right and a 14'' vw lup one on your right lol.

coilovers are definitely the best route to go down. little more expensive, but you'll get a good 5-7 years out a set of coilovers usually before they start to go bad. you can get clio mk 2 coilovers (make sure they have a 58mm bolt spacing, this is VITAL) and they will fit onto the twingo gt. they are about 250-270 on ebay ''ta technix'' or something of the sorts. i have them on mines, they fit just fine. you'll need to get a set of spring mounts for the clio mk 2 from renault or ebay so that they fit perfectly onto the rear axle on the gt as the spring shape (the pig tail shape) is slightly tighter on the clio mk 2 but these mounts are direct replacements and fit the gt > good to go!

the ap coilovers are also a good option, they're slightly more expensive and are direct fits as they're for the GT.

Ahh right cheers for the advice, really I did want coilovers but I couldn't find any under the 500 mark, so do you recommend buying the Clio coilovers

if your money situation is tight, then theres definitely nothing wrong with the clio coilovers. the ONLY thing you are paying for with GT coilovers is the companies development overheads being a newer car and all. the mk 2 clio has been around for a good 15 years + you know! that's why their coilovers are much cheaper, and the GT is the same chassis as the clio mk 2 therefore shares the same suspension set up and whatnot. in a year and a half, i've not had any problems with mines mate. you'll get 70mm drop on the rears and 100 on the front. so you can choose your ride height instead of settling for w/e it says on the box :)

Yeah I've just seen a set in eBay for 260, do you know where you can get the spring mounts from, any links etc
Cheers

it'll be a renault only part i'm affraid liam. but it won't be too expensive, you'll only need two of them for the bottom of the springs. i'd stagger a guess at 30 for the two!

however, i'm still using the GT spring mounts for the rears. i just had to use a stanley blade to cut of some small grooves in it so that it would sit in the clio pig tails nicely but i tell people to get the clio spring mounts just because i understand some folk aren't confident enough to modify parts themselves! perfectly safe

Liamcrankgt16":sgmr2crv said:
Have you got a pic of yours, and where were they from :)

Check out my progress thread mate, theres pics up on that

I agree coilovers are better but when I was looking I couldnt find any for my budget, but I know a few guys who have just springs fitted and touch wood havent had any problems, but if you can afford it, go for the coilover option.

m4nn13":28vbhows said:
Liamcrankgt16":28vbhows said:
Have you got a pic of yours, and where were they from :)

Check out my progress thread mate, theres pics up on that

I agree coilovers are better but when I was looking I couldnt find any for my budget, but I know a few guys who have just springs fitted and touch wood havent had any problems, but if you can afford it, go for the coilover option.

This is my problem aswell, I want it lowering, can't afford coilovers, but don't want to buy springs because I know I'll end up buying coilovers eventually :lol:
Guess I'll just have to save up, or go for clio ones like Oscar :D

I guess the other factor to consider is how long are you going to own the car for? If its until it goes kaboom then yea go for coilovers, if its gonna be for a couple of years & then upgrade then maybe go for springs. Up to you at the end of the day - I love my GT but I know I will upgrade in two or 3 years to a Jap car I can mod the shit out of!!

I am looking to keep the car for a few years so I reckon coilovers is the best bet, when you say I need spring mounts do you mean top mounts?

no, the little rubber perches that the rear springs sit on. tbh, i don't even know what they're called to be fair with you. i'd just call them rear spring perches! :p