Tyre choice??? Help

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggi200

Reaction score
I'd love to try some in the dry! In the wet I've found the conti's to be excellent. But hasn't stopped me looking for alternatives. I did try to track some maxxis tyres after reading plenty of good things and fancying tryign a few different things to compare but noone seems to stock any 17" tyres that will fit!

maggi112":2qtpuc3z said:
I'd love to try some in the dry! In the wet I've found the conti's to be excellent. But hasn't stopped me looking for alternatives. I did try to track some maxxis tyres after reading plenty of good things and fancying tryign a few different things to compare but noone seems to stock any 17" tyres that will fit!

I too fancied maxxis but couldn't find a stockist. My hankooks needed changing for Mot so I got more of those. Great tyres. S1evos. Bit more road noise than contis but outlast them and they were 70 quid a pop :) winner all round. Grips just as good in the dry, not quite as good in the wet but when you consider they are half the price of contis they arent twice as bad if that makes sense?

Yep! VFM is going to be a consideration of mine over winter. I'm impressed I got 10,000 miles out of the fronts. The rears are still showing 6.5mm all round and the front's between 1.7 and 1.8mm on the edges with a tad more in the centre so still a tiny bit of life if I'm gonna push it.

Just weighing up what's best overall. I really quite like the pirelli's I tried on an abarth 500, actually turned the car from soemthing I hated to something i quite liked, the first i drove had yoko's on which were horrid!

on 106 i had federal ss595, ok when its new, but after 3-4 months you can throw it away, on wet its better to stay at home

set69":37g3aad9 said:
on 106 i had federal ss595, ok when its new, but after 3-4 months you can throw it away, on wet its better to stay at home

The 595SS are what I'd refer to as DITCHFINDERS or HEDGEHUNTERS.

The 595 RS-Rs are a very good tyre indeed, my friend with the 260BHP FWD Primera swears by them...wet or dry.

Very Progressive in the wet, even in a relatively high power front wheel drive car.

Just to add into the discussion - the previous owner put some Nankang's on the front (don't remember which model at the moment). Not a choice I'd recommend, unless the RS Cup doesn't grip like everyone says it does - quite a fair bit of understeer. To be fair I have to say it has been quite cold around here lately, so that might be a factor. Might have a try at swapping the Contis from the rear to see if it stays like that...

KamRS":25gkdjvl said:
Just to add into the discussion - the previous owner put some Nankang's on the front (don't remember which model at the moment). Not a choice I'd recommend, unless the RS Cup doesn't grip like everyone says it does - quite a fair bit of understeer. To be fair I have to say it has been quite cold around here lately, so that might be a factor. Might have a try at swapping the Contis from the rear to see if it stays like that...
Keep your best tyres on the rear.

That should prevent any surprise oversteer and a visit to the nearest ditch. It will also wear out the Nankangs quicker, keeping them on the front

singlespeed":19a481fp said:
KamRS":19a481fp said:
Keep your best tyres on the rear.

That should prevent any surprise oversteer and a visit to the nearest ditch. It will also wear out the Nankangs quicker, keeping them on the front

Isn't understeer a more common appearance in a FWD car and isn't that why you should put your best tires on the front? :oops:

Peter":3ijvaxif said:
Isn't understeer a more common appearance in a FWD car and isn't that why you should put your best tires on the front? :oops:
Understeer is certainly more common on a FWD car as it is much easier to feel the front wheels loosing grip through the steering wheel which is preferable for 95% of the drivers. When the limit of normal grip is passed, the tyres slipping sideways also scrub off some speed if theres enough room before leaving the tarmac.

Some people could probably drive quite happily with grippy tyres on the front and ditch finders on the rear. However the likely outcome for most of us would be spinning off backwards after slight understeer quickly snaps to uncontrolable oversteer :?

Hence its better to have the rear end follow if you have different age/type tyres front/rear

ahh, that makes sence. But whouldn't you be pushing it real hard to find yourself in a position with oversteer in a Twingo?

Nope. Pile into a corner and feel it begin to understeer. Lift off for some oversteer 205 gti owners would be proud of. It's quite controllable if you're not a berk. I quite like how you can adjust a line with the throttle

Peter":1va3scja said:
ahh, that makes sence. But whouldn't you be pushing it real hard to find yourself in a position with oversteer in a Twingo?
If you had reasonable tyres front and rear in the dry then you would probably be pushing on.

Lesser tyres on the rear and a damp bumpy surface, it could be a lot slower and unexpected before the limit was found

Anyone ever used Goodyear? National always seem to have these on offer, may be rubbish but just wondered, my uncle uses potenza on his, and swears by them, would consider Goodyear if I hear peoples thoughts on them, if not potenza or continental for me.

Potenza are a type of Bridgestone and they make several different types of Potenza ranging from every day to MENTAL TRACK KILLERS.

Try Michelin Pilot Sports, my mate swears by them in his Celica GT4

I like Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. Excellent wet weather grip, and they don't cut up a lot in the dry.

Cheap too, compared to the major players. :)

lemat1":vspjm547 said:
Theres a lot of us running the S1's and as far as I remember reading we've all liked them